Sunday, October 9, 2011

Boo... to you!

I created this fun Halloween card for this week's challenge over on the Friday Mashup. The challenge is to make a Halloween themed card or a color challenge of Basic Black, Concord Crush, Lucky Limeade, and Pumpkin Pie. Or you can mash it up (as I've done here) to do both.
I made two cards when I made this one. Look how cute, how sweet, how fun these Halloween cards are!

Here's a closer view of one of my cards. There's a base of Lucky Limeade. Then I have a layer of Concord Crush. Here's the cool part: I embossed the concord paper with a non-SU embossing folder, but before I embossed it, I used my brayer and brayered a layer of versamark on the embossing folder itself. Then I embossed it, and then I covered the whole thing with black embossing powder and heat embossed it. (It's a technique I learned from Dawn O.- thanks Dawn!)
Then I made a pumpkin out of 5 pumpkin ovals, the smallest one. I sponged the edges of the ovals and then attached them together with a limeade stem and curly vine.
I used a medium oval to bring a ghost from behind the pumpkin. I finally tried the fraying ribbon technique with the black ribbon, and I added the sentiment from The More the Merrier set. I stamped it and then cut a 3/8" strip of the white. Then I punched it out using my modern label punch. Then I punched a limeade layer for under the sentiment. On one card, I used pumpkin colored brads and on the other I used concord colored brads. You know, I like to change things up.
Do you notice that I heat embossed the different sides of the embossing folder? Again, just shaking things up! I hope you like! Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

Kasey ~ in Oz said...

Very creative, I love your background embossed embossing! Fabulous.

Thanks for joining in on the fun with us this week.

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz
Friday Mashup DT

Heidi Baks said...

The background embossing is the perfect touch! Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup.

Notes by Nina said...

Love the bow and the embossed background, very nice.

Lesley said...

Hi Lisa,
This is really cute, love that ghostie! What a sweet idea. Thanks for playing with us at the Mashup!

Lisa said...

Great card Lisa! The embossed background is terrific and I love the pumpkin!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

hollybeary creations said...

That embossed background is awesome! I love how it adds a vintage Goth look to your card. The Punched Ghost and Pumpkin are so cute! Thanks for joining us as we get spooky this week at the Friday Mashup!

Michele K. said...

Lisa, you are a magician with the punches girl! Wonderful card... the embossed background is to die for. Thanks for playing along at the Friday Mashup! :)

Kim P said...

This is fantastic! Love the black embossing, the frayed ribbon...and your ghost! How clever! Great to see you at the Friday Mashup!